Sunday, July 12, 2009

Crock pot dying results

The crock pot dying was a big success! As pictured in these images, the color is fairly true. I used Gaywool dye in Cedar. The outcome was green, but with a blue-gray shimmer. Perhaps the fact that I'm dying light gray wool rather than white adds this element. I've got some white lambs wool to card and then I'll try dying that in order to see how it compares.

I spun up the wool today:
Lovely outcome! But my dye lot was so small as I wasn't sure how much wool my small crock pot could handle. It only spun up about 38 yards double plied. Next time, I will dye more wool and increase my lot.
I'm very impressed with this dye and will use it again (quite a lot came in the container). I noticed no noxious odour but still, it is a chemical dye. In the future, I'd like to experiment with natural dyes as much as possible.

4 comments:

*Michelle* said...

What a beautiful shade of green! I love it!

Knitting Nurd said...

WOW! I LOVE your new wool...that is gorgeous!!!

cat said...

i am so jealous that you can spin!! LOL love the color a ton tool...great job my friend..:)

Jessi, Dave, and Alden said...

Very preeety!