Sunday, January 11, 2009

A pond for Si's farmland


I decided Silas needed a pond for his knitted farmland. It took a while to complete because it meant 9 squares (well, more like rectangles) had to be planned out in order to give the pond a natural shape. I used loop stitch to create tall foliage around the pond and create what hopefully comes across as an organic transition between water and whatever crop/grass/plant is growing beyond the water. I still have to embroider flowers on the three lily pads. And a felted frog or two might be a welcome addition as well...

The pictures don't really do justice to the pond, especially since the pieces aren't sewn together yet. Still, I wanted to share the progress I've been making. It's exciting to see it come together a bit. As of this evening, I've completed 27 squares. Pretty soon I'll be at the half-way mark!

3 comments:

Jessi said...

This is so freakin' cool! I hope you can bring some of it with when you visit. Can't wait to see you!

Caroline said...

How neat. I had always planned to knit my kids a farm, complete with animals, barn, etc.; but i only got a far as buying a book of patterns. Your son i going to love it.

Beccanae said...

So awesome. My dd would have loved something like that back in the day when she used to play with her trains.