Saturday, December 24, 2005

The Ice Queen's Realm



Today the weather is warm and wet. The ground is buoyant , as though we live on top of a marsh. But a week ago, a cold spell froze the dew that covers everything here and turned each drop of water into an ice crystal. Snow is a very rare treat here in the Puget Sound region, but the frost was so thick last weekend, it gave the illusion of a snow dusting.
At the beginning of December, I bought the book "Alterknits" by Leigh Radford. I'd had my eye on this one for a while and finally could resist temptation no longer. Many of the designs tend towards the fanciful, including one for a crepe paper crown. When I chose to purchase presents and clothes for a little girl in the school district I work for, and was told she liked dress up princesses, I knew I had to make the crown for her. I decided crepe paper would be to fragile for a 4 year old, so I went instead with several kinds of novelty ribbon yarn. Needless to say, the crown is pink and much girlier than I am accustomed to making things. I hope it gives her a sense of fantasy and a touch of a magical life.

No comments: